Organization of Project
The project will be run by a consortium (steering committee) consisting of participants from the participating companies/sponsors. The consortium will be headed by Arne Schram Simonsen of Multiconsult AS, which has the formal contract with The Research Council of Norway.
NGI is the technical responsible for the project, with Technical Director Kjell Karlsrud as project manager. He was also project manager for the major pile research programs undertaken by NGI in the 1980's and 1990's, and was instrumental in developing some of the new design procedures which were implemented in the Norwegian Pile Design Guidelines issued by the Norwegian Geotechnical Society in 2005. He has also published many papers on pile bearing capacity and authored the chapter on Pile Bearing Capacity in the Norwegian Pile Design Guidelines, 2005.
New participants are welcome
The project group still welcomes more participants to the project, both as industry partner which primarily contribute with funding and companies that both contribute with technical support for execution of the projects tasks and funding.
The project has the following main activities:
- Detailed project planning and project management, updating of present knowledge and data base on piles and test site selection
- Site selection and investigations, including characterisation of soils with in situ and laboratory testing
- Instrumentation of test piles, load cells and data acquisition system
- Site preparation, including pile purchase and installation, construction of loading frames, provision of equipment and site clearing at the end
- Execution of pile load tests and factual reporting
- Assessment of results, interpretation of new load tests and older data, development of design procedures, reporting, dissemination to industry and regulatory agencies and preparation of papers.