Examples of services and types of experiments which can be provided are
- Classification, test description and standard indexing (water content, net weight, grain distribution, permeability, etc.)
- Recommended method for determining maximum dry density of sand
- Recommended method for determining minimum dry density of sand
- CT scanning
- Advanced stress-strain strength tests
- Triaxial testing
- Direct simple shear tests (DSS)
- Oedometer tests
- Resonance column testing
- KO odometer tests with measurement of horizontal stress
- "Bender element"-tests (Gmax)
In addition, special tests and model experiments are developed as required, in cooperation with the client. Experiment types, equipment and test procedures are carefully selected for the soil and rock type and the assessment needs for the applicable situation.
Research and development
The combination of a high level of expertise and high-quality equipment provides a unique basis for new developments. New types of experiments for rock and soil are developed and new experimental procedures are tested. The main objective is to identify the most relevant soil or rock parameters that describe how the soil or rock sample will behave in the relevant situation and load condition.
Research is currently being conducted in:
- DSS equipment
- Acoustic measurement
- automation of various types of experiment
In 2012 the Schmertmann Research Laboratory (SRL) opened. This is a geotechnical research laboratory with advanced testing equipment. The purpose is to study the fundamental behaviour of soil under different loads. The SRL laboratory will attract researchers and students from all over the world.
NGI's soil mechanics laboratory has been accredited by Norwegian Accreditation in accordance with NS
EN ISO/IEC 17025. Accreditation details may be viewed here.