Within very limited time and costs an area or slope can be surveyed, a digital elevation model / 3D point-cloud can be created and volumes can be calculated (see figure).
Rock-mass overhanging a major road in Western Norway with a 660 m3 volume determined by drone-derived 3D model.
Drones expertise at NGI
NGI has carried out internal R&D on RPAS opportunities for geohazard and general geological / geotechnical mapping starting in 2015 and became a Norwegian certified, commercial RPAS operator in the same year. In 2016, NGI operates 2 DJI multicopter aircrafts and has held courses on drone photogrammetry in India, Bhutan and Sri Lanka.
Drones related services
- Licensed Norwegian RPAS operator (RO1)
- Training in geoscience related RPAS operation
- RPAS based 3D mapping
- Volume calculations
- Automatic detection of joint sets
- Slope stability monitoring
Equipment in use at NGI
- Hardware: DJI Phantom 3 Professional & DJI Phantom 4 Professional
- Software: Agisoft Photoscan, Polyworks, ArcGIS