Following are some important events in NGI's history

1950

The Office for Geotechnics was established as a forerunner to NGI while the final funding plan was established.

1951

Laurits Bjerrum from Denmark is headhunted from ETH in Switzerland, where he was head of the soil mechanics laboratory, and becomes the director of what is to become NGI.

1953

The Norwegian Geotechnical Institute (NGI) is officially established on the 1st of January 1953 by The Research Council of Norway. Olav Folkestad from Ing. Bonde & Co was the chairman of the committee and becomes the first chairman of NGI's Board of Directors. NGI opens a department in Trondheim, lead by Ottar Kummeneje and Nilmar Janbu.  

1956

NGI moves to new facilities in the 'Research Park' in Forskningsveien 1, close to the University of Oslo.

1957

GEONOR is established by NGI to manufacture and sell geotechnical laboratory and instrumentation equipment. Nilmar Janbu is appointed professor at NTH (Technical University of Norway). NGI's office and laboratory in Trondheim is then transferred to NTH and eventually becomes the Institute for Geotechnics in the Department of Civil Engineering.

1965

Laurits Bjerrum elected the President of the International Society for Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering (ISSMFE).

1967

The Terzaghi Library is opened at NGI. Karl Terzaghi, known to be the father of soil mechanics, donated all his files and archives and scientific material to this NGI based library.

1970

Some of NGI's divisions move to Sognsveien 72, together with The Research Council of Norway.

1972

After a resolution from the Norwegian Parliament in December 1972, NGI becomes responsible for avalanche research in Norway.

1973

Laurits Bjerrum dies. NGI's chief engineer, Ove Eide, becomes the new temporary director. The avalanche research station named Fonnbu is built in Grasdalen, in the mountainous region in Western Norway.

1974

Kaare Høeg becomes the new managing director at NGI. Prior to the appointment he was a professor at Stanford University, CA, USA.

1978

NGI acquires its first main frame computer, the PRIME 400.  

1983

The Institute for Rock Blasting Technique is embodied into NGI.  

1985

NGI, and other Norwegian research institutes previously established and coordinated by The Research Council of Norway, becomes independent private foundations.

1989

NGI is awarded by ISSMGE (International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering) for 'Outstanding contributions in the field of offshore geotechnical engineering'.

1991

Suzanne Lacasse takes over the position as managing director at NGI after Kaare Høeg.   1993 NGI acquires ownership of the office and laboratory complex in Sognsveien 72 after The Research Council of Norway moves out. Now the whole of NGI is gathered under one roof.   1997 NGI sells the shares in Geonor AS, which now becomes a privately owned company.

2000

The Peck library is opened at NGI, right next to the Terzaghi Library. Ralph B. Peck attends the opening himself.

2002

NGI is appointed Centre of Excellence by The Research Council of Norway with responsibility for the International Centre for Geohazards (ICG). NGI Inc. is established in Houston as a wholly owned subsidiary company of NGI.

2005

The NGI R&D scholarship fund is established intended for sabbatical leave and specialization for NGI employees. A new department office in Trondheim is established to maintain a closer connection with the research environment in Trondheim and Central Norway.  The new research station Fonnbu is rebuilt and completed after the old field station was destroyed in a fire.   2012 Lars Andresen takes over the position as Managing Director at NGI after Suzanne Lacasse.

2013

Reorganization of NGI's organization with four market areas and underlying sections Offshore energy - Building, Construction and Transportation - Natural hazards - Environmental Engineering. NGI marks its 60-years anniversary with four market days through the year for clients and partners