Benchmarking is of significant importance in geotechnical engineering, both for testing and verifying innovative soil investigation methods and foundation solutions. NGI and its partners, NTNU, SINTEF, UNIS and the Norwegian Public Roads Administration (NPRA), are pleased to welcome you all to the 1st International GeoTest Site Symposium (ISGTS) in Oslo.
The 1st ISGTS aims to:
- Present detailed characterization of a wide range of natural soils used for benchmarking in geotechnical engineering, and
- Promote an increase use of the benchmark sites as a research tool, as training and teaching facilities and as ground for development of new soil models, testing of new investigation methods and further advance the state-of-the-art.
As of now we have received more than 30 papers from all over the world and with topics related to a range of natural soil deposits (clay, silt, sand, permafrost and peat). The papers will be published in a special issue of AIMS Geosciences. The event will be of the highest quality and will provide a reference for future
In addition to comprehensive papers on the five Norwegian Geo-Test Sites (NGTS) altogether 32 papers from other Norwegian sites and from 12 other countries will be presented in five sessions spread over 2 days.
On the third day, there will be a a field trip to the benchmark NGTS testing facilities at Onsøy (soft clay) and Halden (silt), accompanied with a lunch in the old town of Fredrikstad.
The social program also includes a Welcome reception at NGI and a Symposium dinner.
Ullevaal Stadium, Sognsveien 77C, Oslo Norway
- Late registration* (02.05.18 and later) 5 000 NOK
- Student registration 3 000 NOK
* Includes welcome reception at NGI on Tuesday 11th June and symposium dinner on Thursday 13th June.
Please make the payment for registration to the symposium via bank transfer to:
- Account number: 1503 31 74664
- Bank adress: DnB Bank ASA, Postboks 1600 Sentrum, 0021 OSLO
- BIC (SWIFT): DNBANOKKXXX
- Electronic IBAN account number: NO34 1503 3174 664
Oslo offers a broad spectrum of first-rate accommodations and hotels. Oslo has lodgings to satisfy everyone. There are various hotels in all classes in Oslo, so everybody should find something in the "right" category. See more on VisitOslo.com
For those that would like to be close to the symposium event and to NGI, we recommend booking a room at Thon Hotel (Ullevål stadion).
Advisory and organizing committee
Prof. Jean-Sébastien L'Heureux (Chair - Norway)
Mr. Tom Lunne (Co-Chair - Norway)
Dr. Priscilla Paniagua (Norway)
Prof. Mike Long (Ireland)
Prof. Don DeGroot (USA)
Dr. Samson Degago (Norway)
Dr. Arne Instanes (Norway)
Ass. Prof. Arnfinn Emdal (Norway)
Dr. Anatoly Sinitsyn (Norway)
Ms. Tone Solem (Norway)
We look forward to seeing you all in Oslo!