NGI reception at OTC 2010
NGI hosted a reception during the OTC 2010 conference. The evening reception, held at Zaza hotel included a short seminar presented by Suzanne Lacasse.
Suzanne introduced the new team in the Houston office which includes Auden Hauge as the new president as of August 2010. Auden will replace Stein Strandvik who is returning to the Oslo office. In addition, two new staff members have joined NGI Inc in Houston. These are Dag Tollefsrud who is an instrumentaion speclialist from the Oslo office and Gokhan Saygili who is a geotechnical engineer with a special interest in siesmic studies.
Suzanne introduced the current work in NGI with emphasis on hydropower, bio-energy , geo-energy , wind energy and solar energy. She introduced more technical details including:
- Dynamic analyses of cyclic and dynamic loading on monopiles for offshore wind turbines
- Finite element analyses of complex gravity based structures
- Installation of the Alpha Ventus wind trubines in the North Sea
- Storage of CO2 in geological formations
- NGI's involvment in the new center for environmental research - SUbsurface CO2 storage - Critical Elements and Superior Strategy or SUCCESS
- Geothermal studies including hydrogeological, geochemical and microbiological investigations
- Use of torpedo anchors as foundations for offshore structures
Suzanne also presented the current JIP (Joint Industry Projects) with NGI's involvement. These include:
- Temperature effects on laboratory strength measured on soft clay in deep water and cold environment
- Time effects on pile capacity
Attending delegates were also invited for a drink and buffet meal. This was a good opportunity to discuss current work by NGI in Oslo and Houston. NGI's reception is held every year usually on the Wednesday of the OTC week which is usually the first week of May.