The research teams at NGI develops solutions and prototypes to deal with challenges on the seabed and down to the reservoirs.
In many cases, the oil and gas industry has ideas about equipment and technology that could have made oil and gas exploration and offshore field development more efficient and safer.
NGI's specialist expertise
- measurement of seabed pressures and deformations
- electromagnetic measuring systems
- seismic systems, including the seabed shear wave source
Services related to subsea technology
With a broad specialist environment covering instrumentation and monitoring technology, geophysics, offshore soil investigations, geohazards assessment and foundation engineering, sensor technology, dynamics, mechanical design and ROV technology, we have a unique starting point for developing methods and equipment.
Research and development
The challenges and NGI's research efforts in connection with subsea technology are:
- equipment and methods associated with electromagnetic seabed logging
- shear wave technology for seismic mapping of reservoirs and geohazards
- long-term monitoring of the seabed, for example down-hole measurement of pore pressure and deformations
- use of distributed fibre-optic measurement systems on the seabed.
NGI often acts as a full-range supplier and covers the whole process from feasibility studies and design to production, installation, data acquisition and analysis. After more than 30 years in the business, we have built up a network of specialised subcontractors, both nationally and internationally.
Our projects vary from large development and delivery projects with many subcontractors to studies, model tests and direct monitoring assignments. Based on our broad experience of designing prototypes, we can also offer attractive solutions for applications that extend beyond the geodisciplines.